Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 20 minutes
Yield: 8 Pretzel Hamburger Buns
- 1-1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees)
- 2-1/4 teaspoons or 1/4 ounce active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 4-1/4 cups all-purpose or bread flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- salt for sprinkling (pretzel or kosher)
- In the bowl of your stand up mixer fitted with the dough hook, add the water, yeast and sugar.
- Stir and let rest for 5 - 10 minutes or until foamy.
- Add the flour, salt and melted butter.
- Mix until well combined and forms a ball.
- Transfer to a medium bowl sprayed with non stick cooking spray, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Pull dough out of bowl and divide into 8 equal portions. (Split dough and freeze half if you only want 4 rolls.)
- Form each portion into and ball and place on prepared cookie sheet.
- Cover with towel allow to rest in a warm place for 30 minutes or until they rise and double.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and place oven rack in the middle position.
- In a large saucepan, bring 2 quarts of water to a low boil.
- Slowly add the baking soda.
- Place 2 - 3 of the rolls at a time in the poaching liquid.
- Poach for 30 seconds and then carefully turn the roll over and poach for another 30 seconds.
- Remove with a slotted spoon to the same prepared sheet pan.
- Repeat with the remaining rolls.
- Using a pastry brush, brush each roll with the beaten egg, making sure to coat all sides completely and then sprinkle each roll with salt.
- Using a sharp straight edged knife, cut a "X" shape in the top of each roll.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.